OA is a worldwide Fellowship, open to all who have the desire to stop eating compulsively.
Compulsive eating behaviors may include:
or any combination of these actions.
OA members are men and women from around the world. Some have been obese, while others have been anorexic, bulimic or a normal weight. We have been unable to freely live our lives because we have been so obsessed with food or weight.
The membership of OA is varied, both in its makeup and in the eating behaviors and experiences that brought each individual to OA.
In OA you’ll find members who are or were
- Extremely overweight, even morbidly obese;
- Only moderately overweight
- Average weight
- Still maintaining periodic control of their eating behavior;
- Totally unable to control their compulsive eating.
OA members have experienced many different patterns of eating. These symptoms are as varied as our membership.
- obsession with body weight, size and shape;
- Eating binges;
- Preoccupation with weight-reduction diets;
- Inducing vomiting after eating
- Constant preoccupation with food
- Inability to stop eating after taking the first bite
Our symptoms may vary, but we share a common bond: we are powerless over food and our lives are unmanageable.
If you feel you are one of us, we welcome you with open arms.